G2 brings a holistic and practical approach to solving workplace hazards.
Industrial hygiene is the science of protecting and enhancing the health and safety of people at work and in their communities. Health and safety hazards cover a wide range of chemical, physical, biological and ergonomic stressors. Those dedicated to anticipating, recognizing, evaluating and controlling those hazards are known as Industrial Hygienists. – ABIH
Industrial hygiene has been a profession since the 1940s, working with science and technology to protect the health and safety of workers and the community. Our industrial hygiene team helps clients meet and maintain regulatory compliance in all industrial health and safety areas.
Our knowledgeable team of Certified Industrial Hygienists are experienced in a variety of settings including manufacturing, public works, heavy industrial, remediation, commercial, warehousing, healthcare, laboratories and office environments. Our dynamic team of Certified Industrial Hygienists, Certified Safety Professionals, indoor environmental scientists, engineers, and business professionals brings a holistic and practical approach to solving workplace hazards.
G2 brings a holistic and practical approach to the science of solving workplace hazards.
What is an Industrial Hygienist?
An Industrial Hygienist is a person who is professionally qualified by education, training and experience to anticipate, recognize, evaluate and develop controls for occupational health hazards and indoor environmental issues.
G2 is known for creating customized approaches to protect the health and safety of employees through anticipation, recognition, evaluation, and control of health hazards at work.
How can G2’s Industrial Hygienist Consultants help you?
In health and safety, consistency is key. Having an industry professional visit your site on a regular basis is a cost-effective way to maintain your health and safety program without the expense of a full-time employee.
For some clients, we work one day a week to answer questions, perform sampling and fulfill reporting requirements. For others, monthly or annual visits to sit on safety committee meetings, work on audit systems, and conduct routine exposure monitoring may be adequate.
We work with you and your team to keep your systems running smoothly.
G2 personnel conduct third-party audits, perform assessments of company processes, assist with reporting requirements, and answer all industrial hygiene questions regarding:
- Industrial Hygiene Regulatory Compliance
- Industrial Hygiene Surveys
- Industrial Hygiene Sampling
- Industrial Hygiene Monitoring
- Occupational Exposure
- Regulated Building Materials
G2 Consultants Industrial Hygiene Services
Navigating regulatory compliance issues with agencies such as OSHA, MSHA, and the U.S. EPA is time-consuming and costly. G2 bridges the compliance gap by conducting exposure assessments in the field, using expert sampling strategies, and making clear recommendations for the next logical course of action.
Examples of services G2 provides include:
- Chemical Exposure Assessments: “Exposure” is the contact between a chemical and workers. G2 assists clients with the anticipation, recognition, evaluation, prevention and control of industrial chemical exposures.
- Personal Noise Dosimetry and Facility Sound Level Surveys: We conduct walkaround surveys and workshift sampling to define any problems and create workable solutions.
- Dust and Particulate (e.g. crystalline silica, wood dust, etc.): Airborne contaminants occur in the form of gases and vapours or as aerosols. Aerosols may exist as airborne dusts, sprays, mists, smokes and fumes. In the occupational setting, it is important to conduct air quality testing and/or personal exposure monitoring assessments regarding dust and particulates because they relate to a wide range of occupational diseases.
- Metals (e.g. welding fumes, hexavalent chromium): Fumes are formed when a metal is heated above its boiling point and its vapours condense into very fine particles. It is important to test for these gaseous fumes in certain occupational settings to document employee exposure and determine which engineering controls, administrative and work practice controls, and personal protective equipment are necessary.
- Hazard Identification and Safety Audits: Our safety inspections look at physical conditions (building, equipment, work practices) in a workplace. We also systematically go through the entire workplace to identify safety hazards and lapses in safety practices and provide recommendations to enhance regulatory compliance.
- Machine Guarding and Engineering Control Evaluations: These evaluations help clients know what hazardous conditions exist in their workplace, which of these hazards to remove, and how to place appropriate barriers between workers and hazards when removal is not possible.
- Basic Safety Walk-through/Audits: Walkthroughs and audits of work sites evaluate the basic health, safety, and fire hazards in a workplace.
- Training for Employees and Contractors: Training specifically tailored to our clients’ needs for their employees and contractors.
- Basic Structure and Purpose of a Safety Committee: We help you form an effective health and safety committee to monitor your organization.
- Incident and Accident Investigation: OSHA states, “Investigating a worksite incident— a fatality, injury, illness, or close call— provides employers and workers the opportunity to identify hazards in their operations and shortcomings in their safety and health programs.” We provide this service to our clients should the need arise.
- Personal Protective Equipment Assessments: We provide assessments on current job tasks and PPE and make recommendations for appropriate selection.
- Job Hazard Analysis: This is a proactive service that prevents injuries before they happen. The analysis identifies the dangers of a specific task and promotes counter-measures to reduce the risk of injury to workers.
- Respiratory Protection Services (CFR 1910.134): These services help prevent exposure caused by breathing air contaminated with harmful dusts, fogs, fumes, mists, gases, smokes, sprays, or vapors that are common in certain working environments. Respiratory Protection Services include:
- Fit Testing (Quantitative & Qualitative): We offer both qualitative and quantitative respirator fit testing. Respirators can only provide adequate protection if they are properly selected for the task. It is also imperative that they are fitted to the wearer and are consistently donned and worn properly. They will only remain protective if they are properly cared for.
- Training (e.g. Use, Care & Maintenance): We train you and your employees in the use, care and maintenance of personal protective equipment.
Industrial Hygiene Surveys
Our hygienists routinely perform industrial hygiene surveys to assess the dangers of worker exposure to chemical, biological and physical agents in the workplace and recommend ways to eliminate them. Performing an industrial hygiene survey before an OSHA or other agency inspection will greatly reduce the odds of violations.
Our team of team of safety, indoor environmental and engineering experts subscribe to the five basic tenets of industrial hygiene recognized as industry best practices:
- Anticipation – This involves reviewing all practices and procedures and using qualitative and quantitative measurements to assess them annually. Industrial hygiene practices are actively integrated into the corporate structure.
- Recognition – Recognition involves establishing a file or database and incorporating all legal requirements and recommended practices. We also rank risk operations and create an audit or assessment plan based on those rankings.
- Evaluation – All the preparation is actively put to use as we implement the exposure assessment strategy and document hazard evaluations.
- Prevention – We ensure clients use effective hazard communication. The effectiveness of health and safety training becomes evident as preventative measures impact the workplace.
- Control – Successful management is an ongoing process of following the hierarchy of controls and benefiting from health and safety management systems.
G2 Industrial Hygiene Sampling
Why perform industrial hygiene sampling?
One of the most important steps in reducing the risk of impaired health from inhalation, ingestion or dermal absorption of toxic chemicals is the measurement and evaluation of employee exposure to these chemicals.
Chemical sampling and analysis is conducted by G2 professionals to assess workplace contaminants and associated worker exposures. The validity of an assessment is based, in part, on the procedures used for sample collection and analysis and data interpretation. Our experienced team understands industry best practices. G2 takes an individual approach to industrial hygiene sampling so that we can better meet our clients’ unique needs.
OSHA and NIOSH methods are used and samples are sent to AIHA accredited laboratories. Calibrated, direct-read monitors identify immediate hazards and evaluate process control effectiveness. We help reduce exposures to toxic and hazardous substances, including chemical vapors, mists, or gases, metal dusts and fumes, asbestos, silica, and more.
To protect the health of employees, exposure measurements must be unbiased, representative samples of employee exposure. Employers must:
- Devise sampling plans to evaluate occupational exposures to airborne concentrations of chemical substances as well as ingestion and dermal absorption
- Determine the need for exposure measurement
- Evaluate exposure measurement data
- Make decisions concerning what action is required by federal regulations.
The Exposure Assessment Process
An exposure assessment, or sampling process, consists of gathering as much information as possible to characterize the types, durations and frequencies of hazards workers encounter during the workday. This information is gathered both by quantitative and qualitative avenues. G2 makes suggestions for engineering, administrative and PPE controls in order to reduce any potential employee exposures and maintain compliance with OSHA regulations as well as other recommended and established limits.
A full risk assessment is good due diligence. Our assessments determine whether current health and safety programs are adequate. Results can be used for compliance and help identify issues to keep workers safe, healthy and happy. G2’s comprehensive industrial hygiene services can help businesses eliminate risk, reduce costs and perform as an industry leader in workplace health and safety.
Successful health and safety management programs are an ongoing process. Before you install a new piece of equipment or standardize a new process, G2 conducts monitoring to identify and prevent hazards so you can hit the ground running. A pre-production risk assessment will identify permitting requirements, necessary personal protective equipment and essential training requirements.
Regulated Building Materials
G2 specializes in regulatory compliance and remediation solutions for construction issues in industrial, municipal, retail, commercial, and professional workspaces. G2 staff maintains technical and professional certifications such as NIOSH 582, including multi-state licensing for Asbestos Inspectors, Project Designers, Asbestos Abatement Supervisors, and Project Monitors. G2 consultants work with clients to identify potential lead hazards and develop a plan to ensure worker protection and regulatory compliance.
Property transfers can be complex, but G2 is highly skilled in providing required assessments, answering questions, and supplying the necessary documentation to make the process as seamless as possible. Our property site inspections include determinations of the locations and quantity of asbestos, lead-containing materials, polychlorobiphenys (PCB), mercury and universal waste.
Operations and Maintenance
Solid operations and maintenance plans are the foundation for effective health and safety management programs. We work with clients to develop clear operations and maintenance plans that meet all regulatory requirements, are measurable and sustainable. We help implement staff training programs, develop emergency procedures, and determine requirements for inspections, testing, data collection and record keeping.
G2 is your “Go To” solution for extensive industrial hygiene needs.Your business is the reason for our business. We stand ready to partner with you for all your industrial hygiene needs.